As the winter season sets in, the cold, dry air can take a toll on our skin. The lack of moisture in the air and the constant exposure to indoor heating can leave our skin feeling dry, flaky, and itchy. While moisturisers can provide temporary relief, they often fail to penetrate deeply enough to provide long-lasting hydration. This is where body oils come in. Not only do they provide intense hydration, but they also contain nourishing ingredients that can help improve the overall health and appearance of dry skin. From smoothing rough patches to reducing the appearance of fine lines, body oils have a range of benefits that make them a must-have for anyone looking to say goodbye to dry skin this winter.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using body oils and how you can incorporate them into your winter skincare routine.
What are body oils?
Body oils are a type of moisturiser that is made up of natural oils such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, argan oil, and avocado oil. These oils are typically rich in fatty acids, vitamins, and antioxidants that help to nourish and hydrate the skin. Unlike traditional moisturizers, body oils are easily absorbed into the skin, making them an effective way to provide long-lasting hydration. House of Immortelle uses a blend of oils perfect for healthy hydration without using artificial fragrances and parabens
Body oils can be used on their own or as a supplement to traditional moisturisers. When used on their own, they can provide intense hydration to the skin, making them ideal for those with dry or flaky skin. When used in combination with a moisturiser, they can help to lock in moisture and provide additional nourishment to the skin.
Benefits of using body oils for dry skin
Firstly, they provide intense hydration that can help to soothe dry, flaky skin. This can be particularly beneficial during the winter months when the air is dry and our skin is exposed to harsh environmental conditions.
In addition to providing hydration, body oils also contain nourishing ingredients that can help to improve the overall health and appearance of our skin. For example, many body oils contain antioxidants that help to protect the skin from free radical damage. They can also contain vitamins and fatty acids that help to improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Another benefit of using body oils is that they are often free from the synthetic fragrances and preservatives found in traditional moisturisers. This makes them a great option for those with sensitive skin or those who prefer to use natural products.
Common ingredients in body oils and their benefits
Body oils can contain a range of ingredients, each with their own unique benefits. Some natural ingredients we love found in body oils include:
- Coconut oil: This oil is rich in fatty acids that help to hydrate and nourish the skin. It also has antibacterial properties that can help to prevent acne.
- Jojoba oil: This oil is similar in composition to the natural oils found in our skin, making it easily absorbed. It is rich in vitamin E and antioxidants that help to protect the skin from free radical damage.
- Argan oil: This oil is rich in vitamin E and fatty acids that help to improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Avocado oil: This oil is rich in vitamins A, D, and E, as well as fatty acids that help to nourish and hydrate the skin. It also has anti-inflammatory properties that can help to soothe irritated skin.
House of Immortelle’s relax Rose Body Oil uses jojoba, rosehip seed oil and sweet almond oil combined with other natural fragrances and oils to produces the perfect blend for massages, footbaths and nourishing dry skin.
Tips for applying body oil effectively
To get the most out of your body oil, there are a few tips you can follow:
- Apply body oil to damp skin: This will help to lock in moisture and provide even more hydration to the skin.
- Use a body brush: Using a body brush before applying body oil can help to exfoliate the skin and improve circulation, allowing the oil to be absorbed more easily.
- Layer with a moisturiser: If you have particularly dry skin, you may want to layer your body oil with a moisturizer to provide additional hydration.
- Use before bed: Applying body oil before bed can help to hydrate and nourish the skin while you sleep, allowing you to wake up with soft, supple skin.
Body oils are a great option for anyone looking to say goodbye to dry skin this winter. They provide intense hydration and contain nourishing ingredients that can help to improve the overall health and appearance of our skin. By choosing the right body oil for your skin type and following a few simple tips, you can incorporate body oils into your winter skincare routine and enjoy soft, supple skin all season long.