Some thoughts on Milan MFW
- I don’t know is it just me or this season the looks are very ‘heavy’. Some houses used too many coats and layering. At Burberry, some jackets are a little too thick for summer, no? And the number of trenches and coats are outnumbering/covering the strappy shirts, which is suppose to be the main focus. Bailey’s past summer collections, the super colourful sporty 08′ and the fresh and crisp 09′,for example, are just unforgettable. Prada went on with another safe collection with tons of classic grey suits, and it is so hardcore classic, but with some rather ‘ventilating’ mesh fabric that at least won’t suffocate you with the many layers, for summer.Don’t you miss those times when Miuccia dared rubber coats and halters? At Gucci, Frida did knitwear, and churned out a sportier than usual collection, with loads of white from-top-to-toe, even the bags. Rocking the full look in one colour is tricky… I can only remember how stunning is Versace’s all white opening last season, not too sure about Frida’s effort.
- All the above mentioned can probably give a hint or two about what’s coming up for womenswear in three months time. Same for Dolce & Gabbana. Hmmmm.
The fabric at Barret, leather-bonding-with-wool, is something special.
Tomas Meier offered some really lovely colours (which are very Bottega as always) for Spring, love the tie-dye pieces, the styling and the effortlessly cool vibe. The Bottega man never looks like he tries too hard.
- Angela Missoni must be obssessed with the homeless look continued from womenswear’s Fall 09’. Check out the opening look— patchwork sweater, in muddy tones. Can you say, the new luxury way of looking broke?
- On to Models talk. Arthur Daniyarov, whom I mentioned about a few posts earlier, was exclusive for Jil Sander, opening and closing the show.
- Auguste Abeliunaite, the 14 year old model who walked Prada and hauntingly cried on the Fall 09′ runways of Jil Sander, appeared in Neil Barret’s show.
… take a look at 14 year-olds in the 21st century
Apparently, she will be in Singapore for portfolio, or has already been here. Look out for her in some local pages soon.
[images: daylife, men.style.com]