Healthy Homemade Pineapple Tarts
Nothing screams CHINESE NEW YEAR than PINEAPPLE TARTS and a larger waistline. Don’t get me wrong, I love the sweet, bite-size darlings filled with tangy pineapple jam but the amount of butter and egg yolk needed to make the tarts are atrocious!
Here’s a healthier recipe, basically there’s no oil, butter and flour. You can call these the flawless flour-less pineapple tarts. Since you’re going to eat A LOT of them during CNY you might as well make them skinny.
ONE 140ml can of crushed pineapple
HALF cup sugar
TWO cups of unsweetened coconut flakes
TWO egg whites
HALF teaspoon vanilla essence
OPTIONAL: HALF cup almond flour
1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
2. Drain the juice away from the crushed pineapples and then pour the whole can plus the sugar onto a non-stick skillet. Heat it on high and keep stirring until it dries up and become brown and sticky. See the difference in texture before and after.
3. Mix in the coconut and almond flour (optional)
4. Whisk the egg whites and vanilla until foamy and pour the wet mixture into the coconut and pineapple. Fold it with a spatula.
5. By now the dough should look like a gooey mess. Shape the cookies and place them on the baking sheet and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
6. Let the cookies cool for about 15 minutes and VIOLA! Your very own healthy homemade pineapple tarts. Enjoy!